Experimental units are large, powerful units in Supreme Commander, acting as the signature weapons for each faction.
Experimentals are usually armed with powerful weaponry and have various abilities to give them an edge in battle. Each faction has three experimental units (Four in Forged Alliance, including the Seraphim) and constitute some of the major faction differences.
Often considered "Tech 4" as they are constructed by construction units at Tech 3, much like structures. However, due to the high-powered nature of these mobile superweapons, a commander should have a robust supply of resources to deploy these units. Their construction times are also very high, often requring scores of Engineers or ACUs to get them into the field as quickly as possible.
In the expansion, construction costs and times have been halved, allowing them to be brought out quicker and sooner. Their firepower have been reduced as a result. Therefore Commanders are encouraged to build them in greater numbers, exhibiting numbers over strength.
As the Seraphim were introduced, one additional experimental was added to each faction.
Although experimental units are much more powerful than most units, a common mistake is to overestimate their power. Sending one alone against a well defended enemy base is almost guaranteed to fail, as the unit will probably be destroyed shortly after reaching said base. This is especially true of Monkeylords. However, sending 2 or 3 of such units at once can create a force that even the best defended bases will have trouble stopping. Never overestimate your experimental units, escort them with anti air, and you will probably never fail to destroy your target.
List of experimental units
- Experimental Mobile Factory: Fatboy, a mobile fire base.
- Experimental Aircraft Carrier: Atlantis, a submersible aircraft carrier, with devastating torpedo and anti-air weaponry.
- Experimental Strategic Artillery: Mavor, a powerful artillery piece that can hit anything on the map.
- Experimental Satellite System: Novax Center and its Defense Satellite, an invulnerable orbital beam weapon.
- Experimental Mobile Rapid-Fire Artillery: Scathis, a mobile artillery weapon, with low accuracy but massive damage radius
- Experimental Spiderbot: Monkeylord, a spider-like weapon, featured in the E32006 trailer. Can hide from radar and fires a massive Heavy Microwave Laser
- Experimental Megabot: Megalith, a crab like weapon, extremely resilient, and as dangerous in the water as out.
- Experimental Gunship: Soul Ripper, a gunship overloaded with weaponry
- Experimental Sacred Assault Bot: Galactic Colossus, a humanoid like giant robot, with a single Phason Laser that fires from its eye. It also has tractor beam claws.
- Experimental Aircraft Carrier: CZAR, a giant flying saucer, that can transport and build aircraft, and fires the Quantum Beam Generator, obliterating anything underneath.
- Experimental Battleship: Tempest, a submersible naval fire base, equipped with a single over sized Oblivion Cannon.
- Experimental Resource Generator: Paragon, a near infinite resource generator.
- Experimental Strategic Missile Launcher: Yolona Oss, a nuclear missile launcher that can wipe out the largest of bases in a single shot.
- Experimental Bomber: Ahwassa, its bombs can destroy entire armies.
- Experimental Assault Bot: Ythotha, a giant robot equipped with several unstable experimental weapons which when destroyed releases an Unidentified Residual Energy Signature: Othuy, a highly destructive orb of lightning energy.
Some of these units are so powerful, the game is essentially finished if one is successfully constructed. For example: The Mavor Experimental Artillery. See the game ender article for more details.
See details about a specific unit at experimental units category using the Unit Navigational Box at the top of the page, or just by clicking the corresponding link.